"Stay With Me" (Season 40)
"Money on My Mind / Finally" (Season 40)
Web Exclusive "Lay Me Down" (Season 40)
Sam Smith’s poignant tone and melodic falsetto can make the masses swoon. The singer/songwriter makes his debut on the Austin City Limits stage singing tune from his album In the Lonely Hour.
The British 22-year-old seemingly dropped out of nowhere when his soulful voices lfooded our radios, playlists and televisions. His musical success began in late 2012 when he was featured on Disclosure’s single “Latch;” he also appeared prominently on Naughty Boy’s “La La La” in 2013. Both songs stormed the UK Singles Chart.
Smith became a household name in the U.S. with the release of his solo debut In the Lonely Hour earlier in 2014. “His talent is a clear force to be reckoned with and his debt is ripe with promise,” writes PopMatters.
With his very personal approach to songwriting, Smith has been able to craft songs with universal appeal. He told Interview that “Every single one of my songs is about something very personal to me and I could tell anyone what it’s about, each song. Like a diary, basically.”
The song “Stay With Me” launched him into the spotlight and reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Billboard said, “Smith bares more than his vocal chords on this record. Every story of unrequited love that’s been put to song is powerful in its own right.’
EPISODE LISTSam Smith / Future Islands (40)
- Austin City Limits announces lineup for Season 44
- Giveaway: Sam Smith 7/23
- New tapings: Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real and Sam Smith
- Encore: Sam Smith and Future Islands
- Sam Smith and Future Islands’ soulful sounds in ACL’s 40th season
- ACL Artists at the 2015 Grammys
- Austin City Limits Season 40 pt. 2 starts January 3
- Sam Smith: soulful singer/songwriter
- New tapings: Jenny Lewis, Sam Smith, The Avett Brothers and Spoon