With fans including Sheryl Crow, Elton John and the Indigo Girls, Brandi Carlile is quickly proving she has the voice and songwriting talent to stand with these legends. Tonight this “distinctive female talent” (Billboard) makes her Austin City Limits debut performing songs from her critically-acclaimed music cataloge.
The Washington native picked up the guitar and started writing songs when she was 15, and was soon making her way around the Seattle club circuit. After self-releasing several recordings, she signed to Columbia Records, putting out her self-titled national debut in 2005 and earning a spot on Rolling Stone’s “10 Artists to Watch” list. Carlile’s sophomore release, 2007’s The Story continued her rise to success with a rich offering of songs that are both “confessional and monumental” (New York Times),
She released her third cd, Give Up the Ghost, in 2009 to even more accliam. “Give Up the Ghost is evidence that not only is she one of the best singers in modern folk-rock music, but that she can write a potent set of songs every time out,” wrote PopMatters.
Full of songs that “get under your skin and cuts to the bone” (All Music), Give Up the Ghost is Carlile’s most candid recording to date.
“I can’t lie, this record like everything real, has come with real struggle,” Carlile said. “It was intense and we grew musically, and closer as a band. We’re more than happy in our new space. This record breathes life into our art and forces us to leave ourselves behind…to give up the ghost.”
EPISODE LISTRosanne Cash / Brandi Carlile (36)
- Brandi Carlile triumphs in her return to Austin City Limits
- Austin City Limits to stream Brandi Carlile taping live on 4/10
- Giveaway: Brandi Carlile 4/10
- New tapings: Mac DeMarco and Brandi Carlile
- Austin City Limits Hall of Fame 2017 debuts on New Year’s Eve
- ACL announces the second half of its Season 43 broadcast schedule
- ACL Hall of Fame inducts Roy Orbison, Rosanne Cash and the Neville Brothers, with a special tribute to Fats Domino
- ACL Hall of Fame 2017 announces guest performances by Brandi Carlile, Neko Case and Trombone Shorty
- ACL artists at the 2016 Grammys
- Encore: Rosanne Cash and Brandi Carlile