Witty, fresh and instantly successful, Vampire Weekend has “streamlined ska, post-punk, chamber music and Afropop into a glorious ultramodern groove” (Paste). This March evening, the band made its Austin City Limits debut with songs from their latest album Modern Vampires in the City.
Principal songwriters Ezra Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij bonded over a shared love of both African pop and punk rock while at Columbia University in 2006. Their collaboration led to Vampire Weekend’s 2008 self-titled debut. “A bold band that can balance dextrous originality with an innate pop sensibility” (The Guardian), Vampire Weekend invigorates indie rock with ecstatic, joyful tunes. The band’s album of unique pop fusion received overwhelming critical praise and earned Vampire Weekend a legion of loyal fans.
2010’s Contra, the band’s sophomore release, found Vampire Weekend “pushing its eclectic, intellectual indie rock further using a mash-up of music genres, clever wordplay and emotional heft” (Billboard). This release focused on the concept of conflict without taking sides, while also exploring the band’s role in the indie rock world. The Los Angeles Times wrote, “It’s music that balances with uncommon elegance the desire to observe with the need to engage.” Contra earned the band a Grammy Award nomination for Best Alternative Album and a spot on many Best of 2010 lists.
On May 17, 2013, the band’s third album Modern Vampires in the City was released in the U.S. It’s a darker, more organic conclusion to the trilogy the band began with their debut in 2008. Koenig told Q Magazine, “It really does feel like the third chapter in a book. We created some characters on the first record, some of which are ourselves, so it’s not so hard to keep following them and see what their concerns are now and how their lives have changed.”
EPISODE LISTVampire Weekend / Grizzly Bear (39)
- Taping recap: Vampire Weekend
- ACL announces live streams for Vampire Weekend, Black Pumas and Colter Wall
- Giveaway: Vampire Weekend 8/22
- New tapings: Patty Griffin/Steve Earle & the Dukes/H.E.R./Vampire Weekend
- Encore: Vampire Weekend/Grizzly Bear
- Encore: Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear
- ACL artists at the 2014 Grammy Awards
- Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear continue ACL’s new season
- Austin City Limits announces its new season
- Vampire Weekend keeps melodies and rhythms flowing