One of Mexico’s biggest music stars, singer-songwriter Natalia Lafourcade creates an infectious mix of pop, rock, folk and bossa nova that has earned her multiple chart-topping albums and Grammy Award nominations. Fresh off of her 2016 Grammys tie with Pitbull for best Latin rock, urban or alternative album, Lafourcade makes her Austin City Limits debut.
The daughter of French-Chilean musician Gastón Lafourcade, the Coatepec native began making music as a child. At the age of nineteen, she released her acclaimed self-titled debut, which went to #1 on the Mexican charts and earned her first Latin Grammy nomination.
Her latest LP Hasta La Raíz features intensely personal songs with an alternative vibe that’s been very successful in her native Mexico as well as in the U.S. Hailed as a “most profound and enduring statement” by the Village Voice, the album also reached #1, tanks to what AllMusic calls “extremely well-written songs in the grand romantic Latin American tradition…but with a contemporary perspective.” In addition to her previously mentioned Grammy win, the title track won three Latin Grammy Awards for Record, Song and Alternative Song of the Year.
When explaining the inspiration behind her newest album, Lafourcade said, “I wanted to sing about something that would remind me of Mexico and home…It is important not to forget your roots.”
EPISODE LISTNatalia Lafourcade / Grupo Fantasma (42)
- ACL Announces Complete Season 42 Broadcast Schedule
- ACL Season 42 brings Latin grooves with Natalia Lafourcade and Grupo Fantasma
- Ms. Lauryn Hill’s ACL debut and a Season 42 preview
- Natalia Lafourcade dazzles with ACL debut
- Natalia Lafourcade’s ACL taping to livestream on Mar. 23
- Giveaway: NATALIA LAFOURCADE 3/23
- Congratulations to ACL artists on their 2016 Grammy wins
- ACL announces a new season of tapings with Iggy Pop, Natalia Lafourcade and My Morning Jacket