"Travis County" (Season 38)
Interviews (Season 38)
Behind the Scenes (Season 41)
"Grinder" (Season 41)
"The Healing" (Season 41)
Dubbed “The Chosen One” by Rolling Stone, Grammy Award-winning Gary Clark Jr. has skyrocketed to R&B and rock fame with his bluesy guitar sounds and smooth vocal style. The Austin native takes the Austin City Limits stage for his second headline performance in promotion of his newest album, The Story of Sonny Boy Slim.
After meeting local famed promoter Clifford Antone of Antone’s, Clark began to play with an array of musical icons in Austin, including Jimmie Vaughan. Many in the Austin music community soon helped Clark facilitate his ascent into Texas rock ‘n’ roll stardom. With his 2012 debut album Blak and Blu, Clark became the first artist ever recognized by the Recording Academy with Grammy Award nominations in both the rock and R&B categories for the same album in the same year. Clark also holds blues, soul, pop, psychedelia, punk and hip-hop in his expansive musical embrace, citing them as inspiration for his unique sound.
His newest album, The Story of Sonny Boy Slim, was released in September 2015. Recorded locally at Arlyn Studios, where Stevie Ray Vaughan cut records, Clark said he “had to bring it back home.” “I get to make noise and see what happens. I think it’s dope,” he told Rolling Stone.
A man of few words, he’s quietly grateful that the music he creates has connected with so many. “To think a weird idea I noodled on at the house has gone to something 40,000 people might hear at a festival is an indescribable feeling,” he told Esquire. “As cool as I might try to be, I think, ‘Oh my God, this is real!’”
EPISODE LISTGary Clark Jr. / Courtney Barnett (41)
Gary Clark Jr. / Alabama Shakes (38)
- ACL announces lineup for second half of Season 44
- ACL Hall of Fame 2018 taping an emotional, exciting evening
- Norah Jones, Boz Scaggs, Gary Clark Jr. and more to perform on ACL Hall of Fame 2018
- Encore: Gary Clark Jr. and Courtney Barnett
- Celebrate the new year with ACL’s Hall of Fame 2016
- ACL Announces Complete Season 42 Broadcast Schedule
- Austin City Limits Hall of Fame 2016 induction ceremony a huge success
- ACL announces Hall of Fame 2016 talent and ticket on-sale date
- Gary Clark Jr. returns and Courtney Barnett debuts in ACL’s Season 41
- Gary Clark Jr.’s stellar performance leaves crowd satiated