Highly acclaimed blues-rock duo The Black Keys return to the Austin City Limits stage performing music from their most recent release, the “expansive and irresistibly catchy” (NPR) Turn Blue.
Guitarist and vocalist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney both grew up in the same neighborhod in Akron, Ohio. They formed the band in mid-2001 and released their debut, The Big Come Up, in May 2002.
The duo gained traction in 2004 with the release of their third full-length album Rubber Factory, which was named one of the best albums of the year by Entertainment Weekly and The New Yorker. In 2010, they established a studio in Nashville and released their sixth album Brothers, which went on to win three Grammy awards. The band also made their ACL deubt as part of Season 36. In 2011, The Black Keys released El Camino and became international stars. El Camino won Best Rock Album and the song “Lonely Boy” received honors for Best Rock performance and Best Rock Song at the Grammys.
After years of touring, the band released Turn Blue earlier this year. Rolling Stone calls it “the best, most consistently gripping album the Keys have ever made… Turn Blue is as apocalyptic, in its way, as that Clash epic [London Calling]: loaded with risk, distress and payoff.” Turn Blue is the highest chart debut for the band both in the US and internationally. LA Times says The Black Keys are “…among the most prominent American rockers in the workd, able to craft nuanced rock ‘n’ soul one minute and hard-sweating guitar funk the next.”
EPISODE LISTThe Black Keys / J. Roddy Walston & The Business (Season 40)
Sonic Youth / The Black Keys (Season 36)
- ACL Artists at the 2015 Grammys
- Austin City Limits Season 40 pt. 2 starts January 3
- The Black Keys deliver a knockout show
- Live Stream our taping with The Black Keys on November 17th
- New taping: The Black Keys
- ACL Presents: Americana Music Festival 2013
- Encore: Sonic Youth and The Black Keys
- ACL congratulates our Grammy winners
- ACL Salutes the 2013 Grammy Nominees!
- ACL Encore: Sonic Youth & the Black Keys