Grammy-nominated folk/Americana/bluegrass/rock group The Avett Brothers channel the “heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, and the raw energy of the Ramones” (San Francisco Chronicle). For this episode, the musicians grace the stage of Austin City Limits for the second time.
Brothers Scott (banjo, vocals) and Seth (guitar, vocals) from Concord, North Carolina, debuted their first album Country Was in 2002 with bassist Bob Crawford and guitarist John Twomey. Since then, the band has released seven other full-length albums, four EPs and three live albums. The band added cellist Joe Kwon for 2007′s Emotionalism.
The group found critical acclaim with the relase of their sixth album, 2009′s I and Love and You. They were named “the Artist to Watch of 2009″ by Rolling Stone, and it peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard Top 200 bestselling albums chart. Paste wrote, “The Avett Brothers are experts in mining the heart and soul of the modern American man. Love is an obvious theme, but so is finding freedom and maturity. Their lyrics are tough yet vulnerable, insightful yet homespun, manly yet emotional. The kind of thing that makes the girls giddy and the boys envious.”
The Avetts continued to rock the music world with the 2012 release of The Carpenter. It reached No. 4 on the Billboard Top 200 and was nominated for the Best Americana Album Grammy. Likewise, their most recent album Magpie and the Dandelion (2013) grasped No. 5. According to Under the Radar, the album is “filled with taut, unaffected verses that dredge the past, weigh damage against possibility, and seek ermegence through selflessness and emotional responsibility.”
EPISODE LISTThe Avett Brothers / Nickel Creek (Season 40)
The Avett Brothers / Heartless Bastards (Season 35)
ACL Presents: Americana Music Festival 2011 (Season 37)
- Asleep at the Wheel’s all-star homecoming
- Live Stream our taping with Asleep at the Wheel and special guests
- New Tapings: Asleep at the Wheel, Sturgill Simpson & The War on Drugs
- Austin City Limits announces 2015 Hall of Fame inductees
- Season 40 resumes with the Avett Brothers and Nickel Creek
- Austin City Limits Season 40 pt. 2 starts January 3
- Giveaway: The Avett Brothers 10/6
- New tapings: Jenny Lewis, Sam Smith, The Avett Brothers and Spoon
- ACL Salutes the 2013 Grammy Nominees!
- Encore: The Avett Brothers/Heartless Bastards