Roy Orbison needs no introduction. The long, fruitful career of the Vernon, Texas native is well-documented in films, books, magazines and, most importantly, on the charts. The author of the undeniable classics “Crying,” “Only the Lonely,” “Running Scared,” “Blue Bayou” and the immortal “Pretty Woman,” Orbison was one of the rare artists who scored hits in every decade in which he was active, from the 1950s (“Ooby Dooby”) to the 1980s (the posthumous “You Got It”). His melodic gifts, well-timed sense of drama and magnificent voice spoke to generations of music fans who could agree on little else – he remains one of the most beloved musical artists of the 20th century.
In 1982, a few years before he joined Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne in the Traveling Wilburys or was inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Roy Orbison visited Studio 6A to record an episode for Season 8 of Austin City Limits. Orbison and his band gave an inspired performance of his greatest hits, resulting in an episode so popular it was one of the first shows to be released on CD and DVD.
EPISODE LISTRoy Orbison (8)
- Chris Isaak returns as host of 2018 Austin City Limits Hall of Fame 10/25/18
- Austin City Limits episodes on American Airlines flights
- Austin City Limits Hall of Fame 2017 debuts on New Year’s Eve
- ACL announces the second half of its Season 43 broadcast schedule
- ACL Hall of Fame inducts Roy Orbison, Rosanne Cash and the Neville Brothers, with a special tribute to Fats Domino
- ACL Hall of Fame 2017 announces guest performances by Brandi Carlile, Neko Case and Trombone Shorty
- ACL Hall of Fame 2017 to induct Roy Orbison, Rosanne Cash, Neville Brothers
- Encore: Roy Orbison