Though he’s in the vanguard of the soul revival, singer / songwriter / producer / multi-instrumentalist, Saadiq has a career in R&B stretching back to the mid-80s. By the time he was 18, the former Charles Ray Wiggins was playing bass in Sheila E’s band, opening for Prince on his world tour supporting Parade. “That was my university,” he has said, and after graduation he joined with his brother and cousin to form Tony! Toni! Toné!, scoring massive hits with “Feel Good” and “It Never Rains (In Southern California).”
After a brief sojourn in the R&B supergroup Lucy Pearl, Saadiq began a solo and production career. With a pair of acclaimed contemporary R&B records to start off his solo work, Saadiq reached back to the 60s and 70s for inspiration for the Grammy-nominated The Way I See It. Billboard wrote “Saadiq takes the listener on a smooth carpet ride that seamlessly weaves the feel-good essence of soul music’s storied roots.”
Raphael Saadiq “doesn’t just rediscover the past, he remakes it” (Rolling Stone) and in his performance, the multi-talented performer brings his modern take on classic soul to Austin City Limits.
EPISODE LISTRaphael Saadiq / Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears (Season 37)
- Encore: Raphael Saadiq and Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
- ACL Encore: Raphael Saadiq/Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
- Season 37 Poster Auction!
- Congratulations to the 2011 Grammy winners!
- New Year – New Episodes!
- Season 37 ACL Artists Honored by The Grammys
- ACL Season 37/Episode 2: Groove Along With Raphael Saadiq and Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears