Since their eponymous debut, Fleet Foxes’ inimitable blend of pastoral harmonies with vivid lyricism and gentle baroque instrumentation has clearly demonstrated the band’s ability to captivate a widespread audience. The band brings their modern folk ballads to the Austin City Limits stage for their first appearance on the show.
With the release of Helplessness Blues, in May of 2011, the band’s rise to prominence has yet to stall. Singer-songwriter and guitarist Robin Pecknold said he had intended for the album to sound “less poppy, less upbeat and more groove-based.” Focused more on cohesion and all- in-one-take recordings reminiscent of Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks, the album’s slight departure from their signature sound has proven to entice audiences even further. Already ranking on several Best of 2011 lists, Helplessness Blues resonates with “sophisticated, truth- seeking songs that make it feel as timeless and immortal” (The AV Club).
EPISODE LISTFleet Foxes / Joanna Newsom (37)
- Taping recap: Father John Misty
- Encore: Fleet Foxes and Joanna Newsom
- Season 37 Poster Auction – Another Round!
- ACL Season 37, Episode 10: Fleet Foxes & Joanna Newsom
- New Year – New Episodes!
- Season 37 ACL Artists Honored by The Grammys
- Taping Recap: Fleet Foxes Make Special Trip Back to Austin to Captivate ACL Audience with Lush Harmonies