Austin’s king of country music, Dale Watson has a quintessential country baritone that makes his rockabilly and hillbilly originals stand out as instant classics. Watson returns to the Austin City Limits stage performing his country staples as well as songs from his latest release, El Rancho Azul.
Though born in Birmingham, Alabama, Watson was raised in Pasadena, Texas, spending time in Houston, Los Angeles and Nashville before landing in Austin in the early 90s, where he’s made his home since. He made his first appearance on ACL in 1997 as part of an Austin Country Showcase.
Watson has flown the flag for classic honky-tonk for over two decades and twenty albums, staring with his classic 1995 debut Cheatin’ Heart Attack and moving through landmarks Blessed or Damned, The Truckin’ Sessions and Every Song I Write is For You. El Rancho Azul, his latest LP, continues his work as one of the world’s finest C&W singers and songwriters. NPR wrote that the album is “filled with characters – drinkers, dancers and loners at the bar – all drawn from the dance halls where he plays.”
EPISODE LISTKacey Musgraves / Dale Watson (39)
- Encore: Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson
- Kacey Musgraves & Dale Watson two-step through ACL’s new season
- Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson: two sides of modern country music
- ACL to livestream Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson on 11/25
- Giveaway: Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson 11/25
- Kacey Musgrave and Dale Watson 11/25
- New taping: Kacey Musgraves and Dale Watson